PLACE NAMES – ODDITIES & EXTRAS

(To go to a particular name Press Ctrl F and enter the name in the blank area at the bottom of the screen.)

Aberdeen, Belfast, Cambridge & Dundee Streets
(On “The Hill”)

From the Medicine Hat News, February 19, 1915:

“The city council last night last night adopted a bylaw to rename certain of the streets of the city, which, since the adoption of the new system initiated by ex-ald S.E. McClellan, has caused more or less confusion. The changes are minor ones and not nearly as drastic as was at first proposed by the public works committee. All the streets on the south side of the track from First St. to Fifth St. will remain as they are. Fifth street , A, B, C, and D will be changed to Aberdeen, Belfast, Cambridge and *Dundee and then will come Sixth street and the numbering run on as at present. That is the only change on the south side of the track and was included in the report agreed upon last year but never adopted by the council. On the north side, the avenues are to be changed. North Railway street will retain its old name and the next three to the old Allowance will be given names of trees, namely Maple, Ash and Birch. The streets on the north side of the track, from what is now First street to the Fifth streets, will revert to the old names, which means the resurrecting of Main St., Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Braemer and Balmoral. The streets in North Yuill revert back to their old names of Yuill, Ross, etc.”

Altawana WAY NE

Anson AVE, Beaufort CRES, Belanca CRES, Bell ST, Cornell CRES, !DeHavilland BLVD, Fairchild ST, Fleet ST, Oxford AVE, Viscount AVE
(In Tower Estates, Northwest of Medicine Hat Air Terminal)

Named after vintage aircraft, aircraft manufacturers, etc., in honour of the air training that took place at the airport during WWII as part of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (BCATP).

Ash ST
(North Flats)

(See comments under “Aberdeen, Belfast, Cambridge & Dundee Streets”)

Balmoral ST

Birch ST
(North Flats)

(See comments under “Aberdeen, Belfast, Cambridge & Dundee Streets”)

Clay AV

One of the several streets in the Historic Clay District where the clay industry existed in the 1900’s.

Maple ST
(North Flats)

(See comments under “Aberdeen, Belfast, Cambridge & Dundee Streets”)

Medalta The short name for the Medicine Hat Clay Industries National Historic District.

Set against the dramatic cliffs of the South Saskatchewan River in Medicine Hat, Alberta, the 150 acre Historic Clay District was once home to some of Canada’s most important clay factories, including Medalta Potteries, Hycroft China, National Porcelain and Alberta Clay Products. Today, this history is being preserved with the unique Medalta Potteries site providing the setting for a living, working museum.

The Medalta Potteries National Historic Site – which once produced over 75% of the pottery in Canada – is now an interactive museum dedicated to the preservation of our industrial past. Guests have the opportunity to enter one of our rare circular kilns, explore the original factory and learn about the many clay products that were once produced in the area.

Medalta AVE SE

(See above information on Medalta.)

Police Point Park

Police Point DR NE

Porcelain AVE SE

One of the several streets in the Historic Clay District where the clay industry existed in the 1900’s.

Porcupine AVE NE

Pottery ST SE

One of the several streets in the Historic Clay District where the clay industry existed in the 1900’s.

Pronghorn ST NE

Saamis CL SW etc.

Saratoga Park.

This area extends essentially from the Olgivie Flour Mill to the roadway going up Scholten Hill and is adjacent to Seven Persons Creek. It was the home of many Metis for about 100 years. The area’s name is attributed to James Sanderson after a visit to New York City and saw the newly created Saratoga Park there.

Smelter AVE SE

A number of industries were located in or near what is known currently as the Historic Clay District – industries such as flour mills, a linseed oil plant, steel foundry, brewery, candy factory and a crayon factory.

Steel ST SE

A number of industries were located in or near what is known currently as the Historic Clay District – industries such as flour mills, a linseed oil plant, steel foundry, brewery, candy factory and a crayon factory.

The Ten Commandments
(North Flats)

A group of ten houses were built in the early 1900’s along Allowance Avenue. They were identical in construction and became known as the Ten Commandments.

Tractor AVE SE

A number of industries were located in or near what is known currently as the Historic Clay District – industries such as flour mills, a linseed oil plant, steel foundry, brewery, candy factory and a crayon factory.